What are the 4 ecosystem services and their function in the ecosystem?
There, ecosystem services are grouped into four broad categories: provisioning, such as the production of food and water; regulating, such as the control of climate and disease; supporting, such as nutrient cycles and oxygen production; and cultural, such as spiritual and recreational benefits.
What are the 4 types of ecosystem services?
Four Types of Ecosystem Services
The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MA), a major UN-sponsored effort to analyze the impact of human actions on ecosystems and human well-being, identified four major categories of ecosystem services: provisioning, regulating, cultural and supporting services.
What are the ecosystem services provided by the ocean?
Ocean Ecosystem Goods and Services at Risk:
The ocean provides cultural services, including recreational; educational; aesthetic; and spiritual. The ocean supports economic activity, including jobs, fisheries, food, marine transportation, trade, fuel, and energy.
What are the 4 ecosystem services quizlet?
The important benefits for humans and wildlife that are provided by healthy functioning ecosystems and are based in the four categories of provisioning, regulating, cultural, and supporting services.
What are the 4 major ecosystem processes?
The 4 fundamental ecosystem processes. A brief introduction to the basic ecosystem processes: water cycle, mineral cycle, solar energy flow, and community dynamics (succession).
What services do ecosystems provide?
The benefits ecosystems provide include food, water, timber, air purification, soil formation and pollination. But human activities are destroying biodiversity and altering the capacity of healthy ecosystems to deliver this wide range of goods and services.
What are 5 examples of ecosystem services?
More About Ecosystem Services
- Provisioning Services or the provision of food, fresh water, fuel, fiber, and other goods;
- Regulating Services such as climate, water, and disease regulation as well as pollination;
- Supporting Services such as soil formation and nutrient cycling; and.
What are the 4 types of biodiversity?
Four Types of Biodiversity
- Species Diversity. Every ecosystem contains a unique collection of species, all interacting with each other. …
- Genetic Diversity. Genetic diversity describes how closely related the members of one species are in a given ecosystem. …
- Ecosystem Diversity. …
- Functional Diversity.
What are the 5 categories of ecosystem services?
Terms in this set (5)
- Provisions. Good produced by ecosystems that humans can use directly.
- Regulating services. Help regulate environmental conditions i.e. amount of carbon dioxide in air.
- Support services. Support sources that would be costly for humans i.e. pollination of plants.
- Resilience. …
- Cultural services.
What are the functions of marine ecosystem?
Marine ecosystems also provide other important services, associated with their regulatory and habitat functions, such as pollution control, storm protection, flood control, habitat for species, and shoreline stabilization.
What are the 5 main ecosystem services of coral reefs?
We define it as five broad classes of ecosystem services: food production, coastal protection, water purification, carbon sequestration, tourism and recreation, as well as a range of non-use values (also known as “intrinsic value”).
What are the four marine ecosystems and how are they classified?
Although there is some disagreement, several types of marine ecosystems are largely agreed on: estuaries, salt marshes, mangrove forests, coral reefs, the open ocean, and the deep-sea ocean. An estuary is a coastal zone where oceans meets rivers.